Shame
Thursday, February 02, 2006
  PITY


So let me share with you a situation. I am sitting in what feels like a demon stronghold, like Frank Peretti's "This present darkness". It feels 'dark' and my soul feels suppressed by some unseen things. I am at work. It's a place that highly values spiritual things, but not in the way that Christians do. They admit that religion is very important and the spirit is undeniably a part of all of us and should, no, must be taken care of. The way that we interact with the cosmos and the psyche; the dance of the body-soul-rhythm; the tearing down of the patriarchal father etc..


In this place there sits to my back a woman. She is aged (gracefully). She is having surgery at the end of the week. She cries, everyday, but I can't understand why. Surgery is not a big deal to me, even though I am thick regarding these sorts of situations, I know that my response would be 'If God wants me home, so be it. If He needs me to live on for a while, oh well, I'll make the best of it.'

The utter hopelessness coming from her is really scary to me. She has no family, only a 'boyfriend'. When we met for the first time, she bowed to me, hands together, in tradition of an eastern religion that escapes me (maybe taoism). She is softspoken, yet I have heard the 'f-word' come out of her (I was standing behind the door as she walked into the room, she apologized). Her eyes show a life of being beaten down, oppressed, abused.

I would tell her so many things yet, somehow, I wonder what good it would do. If I say that I will pray for her, that means nothing particularly 'Christian' anymore. If I tell her that my God knows her and will be watching over her, I wonder if that may be a lie. So, for now, I hug her and tell her that it is good to cry because it releases chemicals that reduce stress. I tell her that I go to church, and that I believe in helping the oppressed.

I wonder if she feels the compassion I have for her, or is it pity? Because I think, maybe, if it was compassion I would offer her rest. If compassion, a Savior. Compassion, Jesus. See, Pity is simply feeling sorry for someone. Compassion is doing something about it.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
"It was suddenly borne in upon him that her purity and peace were not, as they had seemed, things settled and inevitable like the purity and peace of an animal-that they were alive and therefore breakable, a balance maintained by a mind and therefore, at least in theory, able to be lost. There is no reason why a man on a smooth road should lose his balance on his bicycle; but he could." -C.S. "Jack" Lewis from Perelandra

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sweet La Conchita, California

Just a family trying to discover what God wants for us. Learning as we go.

Recently Read
ARCHIVES
January 2006 / February 2006 / April 2006 /


Powered by Blogger